The Open UniversitySkip to content

The Open University in Yorkshire

OU Yorkshire's Disability Website Funding

OU students and technology

A summary of the financial support available to all students (based on 'low income')

There is an excellent summary of OU financial support here:
Summary of financial support available .


Other funding

If you are not in receipt of DSA but in receipt of financial support you can apply to the Access to Learning Fund (ALF) for an application form please contact your regional centre. This fund provides extra financial support because module-related costs are higher than expected or if you face serious financial problems during your module. It can be used for module-related costs such as childcare, books and equipment or travel.

Access to Learning Fund application form

The student assistance fund (SAF) is a fund for OU students who need immediate financial support. Payments are rarely more than £100 at a time.

To apply for the student assistance fund (SAF) write to- DAR Team, Open University in Yorkshire


Technology loan schemes

Small items of equipment

Small items of equipment can be borrowed from the Office for Students with Disabilities by students not eligible for a DSA or waiting for a DSA.
Examples are: digital voice recorder, cassette recorder, portable cctv, radio aid.
You can ask for the loan of an item of equipment by ticking the appropriate box on your Facility Request form.
Download a FRF1 form below or contact The Yorkshire Regional Centre.

Access Technology Loan Scheme

If you are not eligible for a DSA or waiting for a DSA, the OU's Access Technology Loan Scheme may be able to provide equipment to help with your studies.
Applicants to the scheme take a needs assessment and are means tested to obtain free loan of equipment and training in its use. However we cannot guarantee that every application is accepted.

Examples of computer adaptations that can be borrowed

Back to top