Child and youth studies is located in the Centre for Research in Education and Educational Technology (CREET). We draw on a range of approaches and methodologies including those from developmental psychology, childhood and youth studies, sociology, anthropology and cultural studies. Themes include:
- Children and young people: experiences, identities, spaces, voice and agency
- Young people: gender relations, masculinities and femininities
- The impacts of social and cultural change on children and young people
- Learning, education, disability and technology
- The development of thinking, social relationships and representations
- International perspectives on childhood and youth.
Childhood and youth studies researchers have good contacts with pre-school institutions, schools, young people and families and we have an observation suite. We are an active inter-disciplinary group with a research income since 2001 of over £1,800,000.