Your feedback is important to us
Please take two minutes at the end of your visit to help us improve our information and services.
Skip to content The Open University
  1. Study at the OU
  2. Undergraduate
  3. Qualifications
  4. Ways to pay for a qualification in Northern Ireland

Ways to pay for a qualification in Northern Ireland

On this page

Financial support

Depending on your income and your course of study, you could be eligible to apply for a Fee Grant, Course Grant (or both of these), or help from the Access to Learning Fund.

Fee Grant and Course Grant

Fee Grant– if you are on certain benefits or have an annual household income below £25,420 you can apply for a Fee Grant to go towards or even cover your module costs. The amount provided depends on how many credits you’re studying for, but it could be worth as much as £1230.

Course Grant– if you are on certain benefits or have an annual household income below £28,067 you could be eligible for a Course Grant of up to £265 to help you pay for course-related costs such as a laptop, internet access or travel to tutorials.

Additional income allowances may also be given if you have a partner and/or dependent children. These are £2000 for a partner, £2000 for your first child and £1000 for each further child. For example, if you have a partner and two children who are financially dependent on you, you could have a household income of up to £33,067 and be entitled to receive some financial support.

If you live with your parents, their income will not be included in any assessment of your household income.

You will need to be studying between 30 and 120 credits' worth of modules to qualify (usually with a minimum of 30 credits for any one module).

Access to Learning Fund
Once you have started studying with us you may be able to apply for additional help towards your study costs if you are experiencing financial hardship. Students with an annual household income not exceeding £25,000 can apply for assistance from the Access to Learning Fund.

This fund is provided to assist students who are facing higher than expected costs as a result of their study. It cannot be used to pay for tuition fees, but will support course-related costs such as travel, childcare and internet access. Funding may be limited and is allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.

You need to allow plenty of time if you’re applying for financial support so please apply as early as possible.

For more information about financial support, try our online eligibility checker or contact the Financial Support Office.

Employer sponsorship

Sponsorship means your employer pays your fees. If the qualification you’ve chosen is geared towards your job or developing your career, you could ask your employer to sponsor you by paying some or all of the fees.

Your sponsor needs to complete an individual sponsorship agreement, which you can download online when you register or which you will find in your registration pack.

If your employer is reimbursing you we can send you a receipt of payment or a statement of academic record when you have completed your module.

For further information, speak to an adviser.

Credit or debit card

You can pay part or all of your tuition fees upfront securely with a debit or credit card. We accept most well-known credit and debit cards. We also accept payment by bank transfer.

Other ways to pay

OU gift vouchers

You can pay for part or all of your tuition fees with OU gift vouchers. Vouchers are currently available in the following denominations: £10, £20, £50 and £100.

Find out more about buying or redeeming vouchers.

Mixed payment methods

You may also be able to pay via mixed payment methods.

For more information about these payment options, speak to an adviser.

Disabled Students’ Allowance

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) help with additional study costs that result directly from your disability or specific learning difficulty.

Allowances are not means-tested and may go towards specialist equipment (such as an adapted computer), non-medical study support (for example, a sign-language interpreter; a note-taker or a dyslexia support worker) or other related expenses. You can also apply for help with study-related travel costs that directly result from your disability.

You may be eligible for a DSA if you’re studying at least 30 credits towards an OU undergraduate qualification that lasts for more than one year.

For further information, visit our Services for disabled students website.

Where will you be resident whilst you study?

If your country isn't listed here, visit our international prospectus.

Are you already an OU student ? Go to StudentHome for information on choosing your next module.

Your questions

Try our frequently asked questions.

Come and meet us at an event near you.

Or contact an adviser by Email or call +44(0) 845 300 60 90 +44(0) 845 366 60 35

Employers' questions

Contact Corporate Enquiries
Visit our website for employers or Email us

Get a prospectus

Download or