Your feedback is important to us
Please take two minutes at the end of your visit to help us improve our information and services.
Skip to content The Open University
  1. Study at the OU
  2. Undergraduate
  3. Qualifications
  4. Ways to pay for a qualification in Scotland

Financial support

Depending on your income and your course of study, you could be eligible to apply for a Part-Time Fee Grant, a Skills Development Scotland Individual Learning Account or Discretionary funds.

Part-Time Fee Grant – if your personal income is £25,000 or less a year, or you’re on certain benefits, you can apply once each year to claim your module fees if you are studying between 30–119 credits a year. You will need to have completed your fee grant application by the final enrolment date of your module.

Skills Development Scotland Individual Learning Accounts (ILAs) – these are for people who are 16 or over and living in Scotland. If you have a personal income of £22,000 a year or less, or you are on benefits, you may be eligible to get up to £200 towards the costs of learning or training which you can use towards the fees of certain OU modules. You must ensure that your ILA application is completed by the final enrolment date of the module you wish to study.

Discretionary funds – students in financial hardship may be eligible to apply for help with study costs.

You need to allow plenty of time if you’re applying for financial support so please apply as early as possible.

For more information about financial support, try our online eligibility checker or contact the Open University in Scotland.

Employer sponsorship

Sponsorship means your employer pays your fees. If the qualification you’ve chosen is geared towards your job or developing your career, you could ask your employer to sponsor you by paying some or all of the fees.

Your sponsor needs to complete an individual sponsorship agreement, which you can download online when you register or which you will find in your registration pack.

If your employer is reimbursing you we can send you a receipt of payment or a statement of academic record when you have completed your module.

For further information, speak to an adviser.

Credit or debit card

You can pay part or all of your tuition fees upfront securely with a debit or credit card. We accept most well-known credit and debit cards. We also accept payment by bank transfer.

Other ways to pay

OU gift vouchers

You can pay for part or all of your tuition fees with OU gift vouchers. Vouchers are currently available in the following denominations: £10, £20, £50 and £100.

Find out more about buying or redeeming vouchers.

Mixed payment methods

You may also be able to pay via mixed payment methods.

For more information about these payment options, speak to an adviser.

Disabled Students’ Allowance

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) help with additional study costs that result directly from your disability or specific learning difficulty.

Allowances are not means-tested and may go towards specialist equipment (such as an adapted computer), non-medical study support (for example, a sign-language interpreter, a note-taker or a dyslexia support worker) or other related expenses. You can also apply for help with study-related travel costs that directly result from your disability.

You may be eligible for a DSA if you’re studying at least 60 credits towards an OU undergraduate qualification that lasts for more than one year. Students in Scotland apply for a DSA through the Students’ Awards Agency for Scotland.

For further information, visit our Services for disabled students website.

Where will you be resident whilst you study?

If your country isn't listed here, visit our international prospectus.

Are you already an OU student ? Go to StudentHome for information on choosing your next module.

Your questions

Try our frequently asked questions.

Come and meet us at an event near you.

Or contact an adviser by Email or call +44(0) 845 300 60 90 +44(0) 845 366 60 35

Employers' questions

Contact Corporate Enquiries
Visit our website for employers or Email us

Get a prospectus

Download or